Will transfers be included?

Transfers to your accommodation may be included with your holiday. In some cases, the Tour Operator you are travelling with will include transfers at no extra charge. Alternatively, you may be given the option by us to add them during the booking process before confirming your holiday. Further information on this may be given in […]

Do I need travel insurance?

PLEASE NOTE – For some destinations insurance is a legal requirement. Adequate travel insurance is a condition of your contract with either Hays Travel or the supplier in question, as applicable. You must take out a policy of insurance in order to cover you and your fellow travellers against the cost of cancellation by you; […]

What is Bank Transfer?

You can pay using Bank transfer in store, on the phone, or in the ‘My Bookings’ section of the website. Bank transfer is a simple, speedy, secure way to make a payment directly from your bank account. It lets you see your account balance before you approve the payment, and means you benefit from bank-grade […]

How do I arrange special assistance?

If special assistance is required, you should notify us at the time of booking. This information will then be passed on to the airline in advance of travel. If you require special assistance but haven’t notified us, please contact us on 01674 678 068 or email cs@@horizon-direct.co.uk

How do I cancel my booking?

A request to cancel a booking must be made in writing by the lead passenger. The best way to do this is by sending an email to cs@horizon-direct.co.uk where we can assist you quicker, please include your booking reference number. We will then contact you to advise you of any cancellation charges and seek your […]

Do children need their own passports?

Yes, children require their own passport to travel abroad. Children’s passports are generally valid for 5 years.Application forms are available from Post Office branches that offer the Passport Check & Send service, or you can request a form online and it will be sent to you in the post.More information can be found by visiting […]

Do I need a passport?

Yes, you need a passport to travel and will be prevented boarding if you do not have one.Some countries will require you to have a valid passport for 6 months after your return date. This does vary from country to country, and we recommend that you check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website for […]

Can I take medication abroad?

If you require prescribed medication for a health condition, you should talk to your GP or Practice Nurse about travelling before your holiday, as they will be able tell you if you need to make any special arrangements. You should also always carry your medication in a correctly labelled container as issued by your pharmacist. […]